The ARL at UH is Now Accepting Applications for its Summer 2024 Internship Program!
ARL serves as a center of excellence for critical Navy and national defense needs with a mission to develop agile, innovative, and cost-effective solutions to problems impacting our stakeholders, our community, and our planet. Summer interns will:
- Gain real world experience in applied research, development, testing, and evaluation.
- Collaborate with ARL engineers, scientists and researchers on STEAM projects. Potential projects include working on an artificial coral reef, machine learning, designing and manufacturing rapid prototyping models, operating an uncrewed system, hacking and securing a computer network, and marketing, outreach and design.
- Leave the program with valuable experience, communication skills, and a network of resources.
- The ARL internship program is approximately 12 weeks for college students and 8 weeks for high school students.
- Internship positions are full time (40 hours per-week) and will be held in-person at the ARL offices located in Manoā Valley.
- Interns will be matched with two mentors and a project for the duration of the summer, which will be based on interests and qualifications.
- Interns will attend weekly professional development workshops and presentations by subject matter experts.
- Interns will present a final lecture or demonstration describing their summer accomplishments.
What are we looking for in an ARL intern?
- Problem-solvers with a talent for innovation.
- Team players with strong communication skills.
- Applicants pursuing a degree in a STEAM field or who have taken relevant STEAM courses.
- Students who want to learn and have fun doing it!
2024 Internship Opportunities
The following positions are open for the 2024 Internships:
- Computer Science/Software Engineer – Artificial intelligence/machine learning and data science
- Cybersecurity Analyst – Threat hunting and analysis
- Electrical Engineer – Communications
- Mechanical Engineer – 3D printing and computer aided design (CAD)
- Mechanical/Electrical/Computer Engineer – Robotics
- Media & Design – Graphic and web design
- College – May 28 2024 – August 15th 2024 (12 weeks)
- High School – June 3rd 2024 – August 2nd 2024 (8 weeks)
- College – January 21, 2024, by Midnight HST
- High School – March 3, 2024 by Midnight HST
Student Eligibility and Requirements
ARL Internships are open to high school (grades 11 & 12) and college (undergraduate and graduate) students. Applicants MUST:
- Complete the application and submit a resume, cover letter and two references.
- Be a US citizen.
- Be able to work 40 hours a week for the duration of the program.
- Attend weekly meetings with mentors and submit bi-weekly timesheets before specific deadlines.