ARL accepting applications for Summer 2023 Student Internship Program
ARL is NOW accepting applications for the Summer 2023 Student Internship Program
The Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at the University of Hawai’i internship program is an annual seven-week paid internship for STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics) projects, which introduces students in high school and college to innovative approaches for solving current, real-world problems.
ARL serves as a center of excellence for critical Navy and national defense needs with a mission to develop agile, innovative, and cost-effective solutions to problems impacting our stakeholders, our community, and our planet. Summer interns will:
- Gain real world experience in applied research, development, testing and evaluation.
- Collaborate with ARL engineers and researchers on a wide array of STEAM projects. Potential projects include building artificial coral reef, designing and manufacturing rapid prototyping models, flying an uncrewed aerial system, hacking and securing a computer network, and marketing and design.
- Leave the program with valuable experience, communication skills and a network of resources.
- The ARL internship program is approximately seven weeks from June 14th – August 4th 2023
- Interns are expected to work between 20 and 40 hours per week.
- Interns will be matched with at least one mentor and project for the duration of the summer based on interests and qualifications.
- Interns will attend weekly professional development workshops and talks by subject matter experts.
- Interns will present a final lecture or demonstration describing summer accomplishments.
- Interns will primarily work in-person at the ARL facility in Mānoa Valley, but may also be assigned duties in the field or via telework.
What are we looking for in an ARL intern?
- Problem-solvers with a talent for innovation.
- Team players with strong communication skills.
- Applicants pursuing a degree in STEAM or have experience in STEAM courses.
Student Eligibility and Requirements
ARL Internships are open to high school students (grades 9–12) and college students (undergraduate and graduate). Students MUST:
- Complete the application and submit a resume, cover letter and two references.
- Be a US citizen.
- Be able to work at least 20 hours a week for the duration of the program.
- Interns will be required to attend weekly meetings with mentors and submit bi-weekly timesheets before specific deadlines.
2023 Internship Opportunities
The following areas are open for 2023 Internships.
- Computer Science/Software Engineer
- Cybersecurity Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Electrical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Media, Design or Marketing Specialist